Saturday, July 7, 2007

Notes on Hien

Hien doesn’t remember meeting me for the first time. We were at a med school orientation party, an obligatory ritual for grad school nerds at the start of any new educational endeavor. Big summer thunderstorms rolled through Richmond all night long. Our introduction was quick but just long enough to make me curious about her. I angled for another conversation through the first weeks of medical school but my big break came when fate assigned us to the same group in anatomy lab.

We spent the next three months up to our elbows in cadaveric goop. It turns out that you get to know someone pretty well under those romantic circumstances. I discovered that Hien grew up almost Canadian in way upstate New York, loved mashed potatoes and red wine, spoke passable French, table Vietnamese and halting Spanish, was a monster in the 100 meter free and looked great in a pair of scrubs. She also was the best student in class. We got into our first fight over how to dissect the knee and, since that day, she hasn’t stopped telling me the way it is.

It’s hard to describe the past five years with Hien in a couple of paragraphs without sounding like a complete cheeseball so I’ll just say that I’m having the time of my life. The long days and nights of residency are made easier knowing that we’re in it together. I have found a faithful travel companion and a fairly reliable navigator. A mean bowl of pho is always close at hand. Scrabble matches have taken on a new urgency. My ears will stay forever clean. Everything seems possible.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey you two! First of all congratulations. From your brief story about each other, I got happy tears in my eyes. Love is and should always be an adventure and you both have that in spades. We look forward to be there with you all on Sept. 15th.
Luan, Margaret, Hazel, and Charlotte.

Ha said...

Love grows...over a dead body? It is a cute love story nevertheless - kinda like a Grey's Anatomy episode! Dylan, you've got an incredible girl and I'm not biased because she's my cuz. Along with her ear cleaning OCD, I'm sure she also taught you safety to not stand in front of a door when cleaning your ears...hehe! We welcome you to our extended family as White Boy #4! Congrats and looking forward to celebrating with you guys in Sept - and at the Red Sox game!
Love: Ha, Tim & Hayley

Unknown said...

A VER QUE PASA QUE NO SE PUEDE INSERTAR NINGUN COMENTARIO EN LA PARTE DE DYLAN. QUE PASA QUE ESTAS ALGO CAGADO???? TIENE MIEDO DE LAS OPINIONES???
JAVI

Tammy Tu said...

I consider myself honored to have been around the two of you when you first met in the big RichMOND. I remember Dylan making ratatouille for Hien on one of their first dates! Look forward to being apart of the festivites in Boston!
Love,
Tams

Uyen said...

Congratulations to the both of you! Looks like you're out numbered in the comment section by all of Hien's cousins Dylan! You know - there are a lot of us :-)
We are so happy for the two of you and we hope this baby comes early so we can celebrate your special day with you! If not, we'll definitely be thinking of you (unless I'm in labor)!
Thanks for sharing this blog with us, its so nice to read a little about your history.
Welcome to the family Dylan, here's to another Token White Boy (Miles is so happy)!
Love, Uyen and Miles